April 7, 2007
New Haven, CT - The Bulldogs (7-8, 2-1 Ivy) bounced back from their first Ivy League loss of the year to beat the Tigers (9-7, 1-2 Ivy) 5-2 Saturday in Princeton. Just a day earlier, Yale lost to Penn despite winning the doubles point. The Bulldogs made sure that did not happen again Saturday as they won four singles matches in addition to the doubles point.
After losing at No. 2 doubles, Yale battled back to win both No. 1 and 3 doubles and the doubles point. Sophomores Lindsey Dashiell and Janet Kim defeated Blakely Ashley and Kristen Scott 8-5 at No. 3 doubles. Seniors Christine Alford and Olivia Nix came back for an 8-5 victory over Ivana King and Melissa Saiontz at No. 1 doubles.
Alford, Nix and junior Lilian Nguyen won straight set matches at No. 3, 5 and 6 singles and freshman Jessica Rhee won at No. 4 singles in three sets. Alford cruised to a 6-4, 6-2 victory over Darcy Robertson. Rhee battled back after losing the first set 6-2, to win the next two 6-2, 7-5 over Ashley. Rhee's victory was her seventh straight. Nix rolled to a 6-3, 6-2 victory over Sarah Huah. Nguyen won the clincher for Yale with a 6-2, 6-0 victory over Kelly Stewart.
Yale will play host to Columbia and Cornell next Friday and Saturday.
1. Christine Alford / Olivia Nix (Y) def. Ivana King / Melissa Saiontz (P), 8-5
2. Sarah Huah / Darcy Robertson (P) def. Jessica Rhee / Sarah Lederhandler (Y), 8-0
3. Lindsey Dashiell / Janet Kim (Y) def. Blakely Ashley / Kristen Scott (P), 8-5
1. Saiontz (P) def. Kim (Y), 6-1, 4-6, 6-3
2. King (P) def. Lederhandler (Y), 6-1, 6-2
3. Alford (Y) def. Robertson (P), 6-4, 6-2
4. Rhee (Y) def. Ashley (P), 2-6, 6-2, 7-5
5. Nix (Y) def. Huah (P), 6-3, 6-2
6. Lilian Nguyen (Y) def. Kelly Stewart (P), 6-2, 6-0
Report filed by Steven Horn '10, Yale Sports Publicity