April 13, 2007
New Haven, CT - The Bulldogs (8-8, 3-1 Ivy) won their second straight Ivy League match as they triumphed over Columbia (4-6, 1-3 Ivy) Friday in New Haven. Yale swept all three doubles matches to win the doubles point in the victory.
At No. 1 doubles, the senior team of Christine Alford and Olivia Nix cruised to an 8-3 victory over Milena Kachar and Carling Donovan. The freshman team of Jessica Rhee and Sarah Lederhandler won at No. 2 doubles 8-1 over Nina Suda and Lauren Shearer. Playing at No. 3 doubles, junior Lindsey Dashiell and sophomore Janet Kim dominated Anna Varnay and Allison Coredell 8-0.
Kim also came away with a victory at No. 1 singles 6-2, 5-7, 10-5. Playing at No. 2 singles, Lederhandler handled Suda for a 6-0, 6-1 victory. Alford defeated Donovan at No. 3 singles 6-1, 6-0. At No. 4 singles, Rhee cruised to a 6-1, 6-1 victory over Lauren Shearer. Sophomore Lilian Nguyen won at No. 6 singles 6-0, 6-3.
The Bulldogs will try to take down No. 69 Cornell Saturday at home. Cornell shares second place in the Ivy League with Yale after falling to Brown 4-3 Friday.
1. Janet Kim (Y) def. Milena Kachar (C), 6-2, 5-7, 10-5
2. Sarah Lederhandler (Y) def. Nina Suda (C), 6-0, 6-1
3. Christine Alford (Y) def. Carling Donovan (C), 6-1, 6-0
4. Jessica Rhee (Y) def. Lauren Shearer (C), 6-1, 6-1
5. Anna Varnay (C) def. Olivia Nix (Y), 0-5, ret.
6. Lilian Nguyen (Y) def. Allison Cordell (C), 6-0, 6-3
1. Alford / Nix (Y) def. Kachar / Donovan (C), 8-3
2. Rhee / Lederhandler (Y) def. Suda / Shearer (C), 8-1
3. Lindsey Dashiell / Kim (Y) def. Varnay / Cordell (C), 8-0
Report filed by Steven Horn '10, Yale Sports Publicity