Purpose To Provide Perspective Of Coaches To NCAA Committee
KANSAS CITY, Mo. - The National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC) has formed an ad hoc committee on NCAA men's basketball tournament selection, seeding and bracketing. One of the members will be James Jones, The Joel E. Smilow, Class of 1954 Head Coach of the Bulldogs.
The committee consists of head coaches representing all levels of Division I, former NCAA men's basketball committee members, NCAA and NABC staff. NABC Executive Director Jim Haney and former SEC Commissioner Mike Slive, a former chair of the NCAA Men's Basketball Committee, are co-chairs.
The purpose of the ad hoc committee is to provide the perspective of men's basketball coaches as well as a team perspective to the NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Committee regarding the selection, seeding and bracketing process.
The ad hoc committee will meet multiple times in the coming weeks. Any resulting feedback will be presented to the NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Committee in advance of its summer meeting.
At a May meeting in Indianapolis, the NABC board of directors and the NCAA committee engaged in considerable discussion regarding tournament selection, seeding and bracketing.
"We had a very good dialogue with the men's basketball committee and NCAA staff during our meetings and especially on the topics selection and seeding for the tournament," said Haney. "The men's basketball championship is one of the greatest events in sports and we are hopeful that recommendations from our ad hoc group will help to enhance it even more."
This is the third ad hoc committee established by the NABC.
The first worked with the NCAA and NBA to adjust the rules for student-athletes declaring for the NBA Draft and lengthened the timeline to return to school after the NBA combine.
The second worked on student-athlete time demands in men's basketball and presented its recommendations to the NCAA Council for consideration.
The ad hoc committee members include coaches:
- John Calipari, University of Kentucky (Southeastern Conference)
- Bill Coen, Northeastern University (Colonial Athletic Association)
- Mark Few, Gonzaga University (West Coast Conference)
- Steve Fisher, San Diego State University (Mountain West Conference)
- Mark Gottfried, North Carolina State University (Atlantic Coast Conference)
- Bob Huggins, West Virginia University (Big 12 Conference)
- Ron Hunter, Georgia State University (Sun Belt Conference)
- James Jones, Yale University (Ivy League)
- Jeff Jones, Old Dominion University (Conference USA)
- Phil Martelli, Saint Joseph's University (Atlantic 10 Conference)
- John Thompson III, Georgetown University (Big East Conference)
- Mark Turgeon, University of Maryland (Big Ten Conference)
- Gary Waters, Cleveland State University (Horizon League)
Administrators (both former NCAA Men's Basketball Committee Members):
- Doug Elgin, Commissioner (Missouri Valley Conference)
- Dan Guerrero, Director of Athletics-UCLA (PAC-12)
- Dan Gavitt, Vice President for Men's Basketball (NCAA)
- Reggie Minton, Deputy Executive Director (NABC)