Bulldogs Face Howard Friday, Georgetown Sunday
NEW HAVEN, Conn. – The first road trip of the season brings the Bulldogs to the Nation's Capital. Yale faces Howard on Friday at 7 p.m. and then has a Sunday afternoon date at Georgetown at 3 p.m. There is no video of Friday's game, but HoyaVision will show Sunday's game.
Here are notes on the trip:
- The Bulldogs opened the season with two strong performances last weekend, a 1-0 victory over Niagara and a hard-fought 2-1 loss to Fairfield, which played in the NCAA Tournament a year ago.
- Yale has outshot its opponents 32-10 in the first two games.
- Newcomers are making a solid contribution thus far. Paolo Carroll scored his first career goal last Sunday vs. Fairfield. Logan Sullivan has started each of the first two games. Enzo Okpoye has appeared in both games, and goalkeeper Elian Haddock made his first career start last Sunday.
- Kyle Kenagy, who scored the game-winning goal against Niagara, was named to the Ivy League Honor Roll on Monday.
- Georgetown will be the first of two straight games against nationally ranked opponents. Yale hosts No. 3 Michigan State next Friday in the first game of the season at Reese Stadium.
- Yale and Howard are playing for the second time. The Bulldogs blanked the Bison 3-0 last year at Reese Stadium. Aldo Quevedo scored his first career goal in the victory, while Ryan Matteo and John Leisman also scored.
- The Bulldogs are playing Georgetown for the second time. The first meeting was a 2-1 Yale victory at the 1999 Brown Classic.
The Bison (1-2) won its only home game thus far, a season opening 2-1 victory over Bryant. Howard is coming off a 4-0 loss at Navy on Wednesday. Victor Guirma, who scored the game winner with less than 10 minutes left against Bryant, leads the team with two goals. The Bison was picked fifth in the Sun Belt preseason poll. Goalkeeper Carlos Caro was selected to the preseason all-conference team.
The Hoyas (2-1-1) are ranked No. 20 in this week's United Soccer Coaches national poll. Georgetown is coming off a 1-1 tie with Stanford last Sunday. The Hoyas opened the season with a 1-0 victory at South Carolina. Brendan McDonough leads Georgetown. He was selected as the Big East preseason Defensive Player of the Year and also was named to the MAC Hermann Trophy Watch List. The Hoyas are the defending Big East champions and played in the NCAA Tournament a year ago.
Yale at Howard
Friday, Sept. 7
Video: None | Live Stats
Yale at Georgetown
Sunday, Sept. 9 – 3 p.m.
Report filed by Tim Bennett (email@example.com), Yale Sports Publicity