Williamsburg, VA. - The Yale women's tennis team was unable to come away with a W on Friday, dropping a night matchup at the McCormack-Nagelsen Tennis Center 6-1 against William & Mary (9-6), the No. 48 team in the country.
Doubles started out well for the Tribe, with Valerie Skhlover/Amy Yang & Caroline Amos/Lauren Gillinov losing their matches 6-3 and giving William & Mary the doubles point. Samantha Martinelli & Elizabeth Zordani were able to finish their match, winning 6-4, but not before the Tribe staked claim to a victory.
The Bulldogs lost the first three singles fixtures, falling in the 4, 5 and 6 matchups. Martinelli got the team back on track with a straight-sets victory over No. 94 Rosie Chang, an extremely impressive showing for the first-year. Her win would prove to be the bright note of Yale's afternoon; Skhlover and Yang both fell in third set tiebreakers to give William & Mary a 6-1 victory.
The team next travels to Orlando, FL. to take on the Clemson Tigers on Wednesday. Play begins at 10:00 AM.
FULL MATCH RESULTS – Williams & Mary 6, Yale 1
- Martinelli (Y) def. Cheng (WMW) 6-3, 6-3 2.
- Perry (WMW) def. Shklover (Y) 2-6, 6-2, 1-0 (10-4)
- Tanielian (WMW) def. Yang (Y) 6-4, 1-6, 1-0 (10-8)
- Goodman (WMW) def. Zordani (Y) 6-2, 6-1
- Stepanova (WMW) def. Amos (Y) 6-1, 6-2
- Thaler (WMW) def. Swett (Y) 6-2, 6-0
- Martinelli/Zordani (Y) def. Okuyama/Tanielian (WMW) 6-4 2.
- Goodman/Perry (WMW) def. Yang/Shklover (Y) 6-3
- Cheng/Thaler (WMW) def. Amos/Gillinov (Y) 6-3